Sunday, June 11, 2017

Skills Assessment


              In week one of the internship I assessed my skills in the various areas that I felt applied to my past experience, current experience, and what I thought would be the necessary skills as a consultant.  These skills are things that I felt would be important to the success of my future career endeavors.  My observation from week one to week two has changed coming into week five.  The original skills inventory included forty-five items in the skills and abilities areas.  Coming into week five and completing the skills assessment this list is shorter and only has twenty-three skills listed.  This list of skills represents the skills needed for my current position of a Team Lead and according to O*Net, will assist me with a goal of becoming a Director of Admissions. This list focuses more on the necessary skills needed to perform the jobs duties for both fields. 
            The skills that were unchanged from week two to week five were the following items.  Active listening, critical thinking, writing, management of personnel resources, speaking, judgement and decision making, coordination, time management, monitoring, active learning, instructing, complex problem solving, mathematics, management of material resources, oral comprehension, oral expression, problem sensitivity, speech clarity, written comprehension, written expression, and fluency of ideas. 
            The changes that have been experienced from week two to week five is that there is more reading comprehension, due to working in a virtual setting the primary source of communication is through emails from upper management, two teams of consultants, and for client updates on projects or revisions.  Information ordering is a skill that was not a necessity in week two.  During week five I was in a new position of
             Team Lead for two teams, and information ordering played a major role in requesting updates on client projects, being copied on emails going out to clients, weekly deliverables, and hour’s updates to ensure consultants meet the hour’s requirements.  In addition, selective attention is a new skill that I used during week five in order to meet client deadlines, time sensitive projects, and reviewing weekly accomplishments, billable hours, and weekly task sheets.  In a leadership or management position this skill is important when working with a group of people.  The skills accomplishment sheet was shorted that the skills inventory, But I believe that these are the skills that benefit me in my current role, and based on O*Net it will assist me in my future career goals.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment